The hermitage of Falgars Virgin is situated in the mountain range of the same name, at an altitude of 1.288 metres.
The horizon is immense and spectacular: to the north, the big mountain range of Cadí and Moixeró; to the east, Montgrony, Puigmal and Rasos de Tubau; to the south, Catllaràs forests and to the west, the Pedraforca, Rasos de Peguera and Ensija.
It can be reached by paved road and it is 7 kilometres far away from La Pobla de Lillet.
The sanctuary was built in a place called Falgars (place with great abundance of ferns). The early hermitage must have been in the Romanesque style, as there is an inscription with the year 1049 on the door. On 30th March 1120 its owners, Ramon and Eliardis, donated this church and all its properties and the existing rights for Cerdanya, Conflent and Berguedà, to the Monastery of Sant Llorenç provided that it was maintained. Since 1255 are recorded different donations of Galceran de Pinós and the knight P. De Bach. Since 1288 it is dependent on the parish of Sant Cristòfor de Vallfogona. In 19th March 1646 the foundation stone of the current church was laid. On the door it is still conserved the keystone with the foundation date of the original church and some of its wall remains can still be seen. In 1721 Antoni de Marimon, prosecutor of Fèlix de Marimon and Marquis of Cerdanyola, donated to the administrators the orchards and some terrains around the chapel to fill the sanctuary inn.
The image is Gothic style, sculpted in alabaster. The original one probably disappeared as result of a war. Tradition says that an ox and a shepherd from Saus found the Virgin’s image in the middle of some ferns. It was probably hidden there by someone fleeing from the wars besieging the larger villages and that forced its inhabitants to seek refuge in the Pyrenees mountains. The Virgin breast-feeds her son. In the middle of Falgars shade there is the restored cave and the place where the original Virgin was found. She was later moved to the Monastery of La Pobla de Lillet, until a chapel was built in the current place.
The goigs (joys) are accompanied by a cheerful melody and are considered one of the most ancient typical joys. They explain the history of the Virgin’s finding and the miraculous salvation of an oncle and his nephew in Llobregat river, thanks to the Virgin’s invocation.
Falgars Sanctuary has always been a place of pilgrimage, not only for local people and people from the region, but also for those coming from distant lands. The inhabitants of La Pobla come to the sanctuary for any reason or celebration (weddings, onomastics or just for a simple barbecue).
The main festivity is celebrated on the 8th September, day of the found Virgins, but the meeting takes place on the nearest Sunday.
Not IncludedBreakfast serviceBar / Coffee shopAssistance animals acceptedCredit card paymentReduced mobility accessHalf board service (breakfast+lunch or dinner)Central locationOwn parkingSwimming poolIronHair dryerTelevisionHeatingAir conditioningWifi zoneGarden / green areaPlaygroundBarbecueFireplaceSpaConference roomWashing machine/ laundry serviceLiftTelephoneTerracePets are accepted